Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Applications for Linux

Google has published a few applications for Linux. I have tried two of them on my Ubuntu installation, but did not continue to use them. They were far too much bugs for serious use.

The applications were Google Earth and Picasa. Both of them are built on Wine, a free implementation of the Windows API for unix. I know that Google has put a lot of effort in providing patches for Wine in order to make the applications work. But I would love to see native applications from Google.

3 comments:

pawal said...

That's wonderful. I'm downloading it right away.

pawal said...

Yes, it used QT for the GUI. But the application still is, on my test computer at least, still just as unstable as the previous version I ran. The graphics is still all over the place on my i855 graphics card. But version 4 is still in the perpetual beta, so we'll see what happens. On the positive side, the program is much more responsive now.

Anonymous said...

I'm still waiting on a Linux version of Google Talk :-(